Nevada Pediatric Specialists
Private Medical Practices & Pediatrics located in Las Vegas, NV & Henderson, NV
Adolescents go through many physical, mental, and emotional changes between ages 10 and 18. The expert board-certified team at Nevada Pediatric Specialists provides a variety of teen health services at their office locations in Las Vegas and Henderson, Nevada. If you have questions or concerns about the health of your adolescent child, call your nearest office or book an appointment online today.
Teen Health Q & A
What is teen health?
Teen health includes the many changes you go through during adolescence, which generally spans ages 10-18. Developing healthy habits at this age can set the stage for a lifetime of good physical and mental health.
However, adolescence is a difficult time for many teens and parents. As their bodies grow rapidly, and they transition to adulthood, many teens experience stress related to these changes. This is also an important time to discuss the many new topics that arise during puberty, including menstrual periods and safe sex.
The team at Nevada Pediatric Specialists works with teens and parents to make sure they are getting the help they need to achieve their greatest potential. They help you and your teen prepare for the physical, mental, and emotional changes of adolescence.
What are the physical aspects of teen health?
Exercise and proper nutrition are the cornerstones of good health at any age, but especially during the tween and teen years when the body is growing. There are many ways for teens to improve their physical health, including:
- Getting regular exercise by playing sports or participating in another physical activity
- Eating a healthy diet rich in vegetables, whole grains, protein, and fruits
- Maintaining a healthy weight to reduce the risk of obesity
- Getting 9-10 hours of sleep per night
- Staying up to date on vaccinations
- Brushing and flossing teeth
- Wearing sunscreen and protective eyewear
Developing these healthy habits early in life reduces your risk of many serious health problems, including heart disease and various types of cancer.
What are the mental and emotional aspects of teen health?
Many factors influence mental and emotional health, including the hormonal changes that occur during adolescence. Ways to take care of your mental and emotional health as a teen include:
- Learning ways to manage stress, including breathing techniques
- Trying to maintain a good parent-teen relationship
- Paying attention to moods and feelings
- Accepting yourself and do not take on too much work
- Balancing school, work, and social life
- Knowing the signs of mental illness and asking for help when you need it
The team at Nevada Pediatric Specialists screens for signs of mental health conditions, including anxiety and depression, during routine well-child visits.
To learn more about steps you can take to improve your teen’s health, call Nevada Pediatric Specialists, or book an appointment online today.
Physical Examsmore info
Lab Testsmore info
Sports Physicalmore info
Pediatric Caremore info
Walk-In Clinicmore info
Annual Exammore info
Newborn Caremore info
Prenatal Meet and Greetmore info
Sick Visitsmore info
Teen Healthmore info
Well Child Exammore info